Discover the history of Haigh's, founded on May 1st 1915 by Alfred E Haigh in Adelaide, South Australia.
We are Australia's oldest family-owned chocolate maker making fine chocolates from the cocoa bean since 1915.
We are a proud supporter of a number of community projects and environmental causes including UTZ and the Bilby.
At Haigh’s Chocolates we have a longstanding commitment to support the community through a number of key activities such as sponsorship, donations, fundraising and partnerships.
Keep up with the latest happenings at Haigh's. Learn about our latest product releases, news, special promotions and competitions.
We offer exciting career opportunities across Manufacturing, Retail and Corporate areas of our business; discover current opportunities including seasonal work.
- 200g Haigh’s Dark Chocolate Pastilles
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups (440g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250ml) light olive or vegetable oil
- 300g raw beetroot, peeled, finely grated and drained
- ¼ cup (25g) cocoa, sifted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 200g ground walnuts
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 160g cream cheese, softened
- 60g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 cups (480g) icing sugar
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) orange juice
- 150g beetroot, peeled and finely sliced
- Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced) and lightly grease a 20cm deep round spring form cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Pour boiling water into a small saucepan, about a third full and sit a small bowl on top. Add Haigh’s Dark Chocolate Pastilles and stir occasionally, until chocolate melts. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla together for 5 minutes or until pale and fluffy. While the mixer is going, slowly add the oil, beating until emulsified and well combined.
- Add the drained beetroot, making sure it is well squeezed to remove excess moisture. Add cocoa, cinnamon, ground walnuts, baking powder and salt, stirring until well combined. Finally add cooled chocolate, stirring until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tin and bake in preheated oven for 1¼ - 1½ hours or until a skewer comes out of the centre clean. Remove from oven allow cake to cool in tin for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- To make the icing, using an electric mixer beat cream cheese, butter and zest together until light and fluffy. Add icing sugar, beating until icing is smooth. Place in a bowl, cover and refrigerate until required.
- For the candied beetroot, place sugar and juice together in a small saucepan over a low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add beetroot, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until beetroot is tender. Place beetroot slices on a baking tray lined with baking paper and allow to cool completely.