Chocolate is very sensitive to temperature and humidity. It should be kept away from sunlight in a cool, dry place with a temperature ranging from 15 to 20°C.
If the storage temperature fluctuates extremely then this may cause “chocolate shock” or blooming which is the appearance of a whitish colour on the surface of the chocolate. These are the fats in the chocolate rising to the surface. The chocolate will still be fine to eat or use in recipes, but it may affect the chocolate’s quality of taste and texture.
Your chocolates are best transported in a cooler bag or thermal container with ice packs in a plastic bag to avoid moisture damage.
Please never leave your chocolates in a parked car, even on a cool day.
If you live in an extremely warm area and do not have air conditioning, you may need to keep your chocolate in the refrigerator or freezer to prevent it from melting.
If you are going to freeze your chocolates, put them in a double-wrapped freezer bag ensuring it is airtight. When defrosting, to reduce the risk of ‘chocolate shock’ place in the fridge for 24 hours, then store in a cool place to bring to room temperature for 24 hours before eating.
Chocolate is best enjoyed when eaten at room temperature. The process of slowly thawing the chocolate and bringing it to room temperature helps prevent the formation of condensation on the surface, which in turn will lead to blooming.
Because the cocoa butter in chocolate absorbs ordours easily, be sure to store your chocolate away from items that have strong odours such as garlic, spices, or soap that includes perfumes. These fragrances and odours can permeate into the chocolate and affect the taste.