Haigh's Triple Chocolate Christmas Semifreddo
EASY 12 SERVES 45MIN FREEZING PREP 5MIN COOKING
- 3 extra large eggs
- 3 extra large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (110g) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 300ml thickened cream
- 250g mascarpone
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup (40g) sultanas
- 1/4 cup (40g) currants
- 1/4 cup (40g) apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup (40g) glacé cherries, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- Prepare Haigh’s Chocolate & Hazelnut Fudge Brownie following recipe on website, substituting the 21cm square baking pan for a 20cm x 30cm slice tin and bake for 40 minutes instead of 50 minutes. Once cooked remove from oven and allow brownie to cool in pan.
- For the chocolate semifreddo layer, pour boiling water into a large saucepan, about a quarter full and sit a large bowl on top, making sure the bottom does not touch the water. Add couverture chocolate, stirring occasionally until chocolate melts. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- For the Christmas layer, combine sultanas, currants, apricots, cherries, brandy and mixed spice together in a small saucepan, over a low heat. Cover, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until brandy is absorbed and fruit has become plump. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- For the semifreddo base, place eggs, yolks, sugar and zest together in a large mixing bowl over simmering water. Using electric beaters, whisk mixture for about 5 minutes or until it becomes pale, thick and glossy. Remove bowl from heat and continue beating mixture for a further 5 minutes, or until mixture has cooled. Divide mixture into two equal portions. Add cooled melted chocolate to one portion for the chocolate layer and the cooled drunken fruit to the other portion for the Christmas layer, stirring both until combined.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream, mascarpone and vanilla bean paste together until soft peaks form. Divide cream mixture equally between the two semifreddo layers, gently folding until combined. Finally add the chopped dark pastilles and mixed peel to the chocolate layer, stirring until combined.
- To assemble the semifreddos in the waxed paper cups, cut 12 rounds of brownie using a 6.5cm round cutter and gently press the top edges in a little, to help place the brownie, as the cups are tapered, set aside. Place 2 tablespoons of the chocolate layer in the base of each paper cup. Lightly tap each cup, to remove any air pockets. Place approximately 2 ½ tablespoons of the Christmas layer on top of the chocolate layer, again gently tapping each cup to remove air pockets and level the semifreddo. Finally place a brownie round on top of the Christmas layer, tapered side down and gently press down to help the layers connect. Place cups on a tray, covered in plastic wrap, in the freezer overnight to freeze. This dish can be made a week ahead.
- To serve, prepare the chocolate sauce by combining the cream, chocolate and sugar together in a small saucepan, over a low heat, stirring often until chocolate has melted and mixture becomes smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Remove semifreddo cups from the freezer. Peel off paper cups, like you would a Cornetto and invert onto individual serving plates. Quickly but carefully place 2 teaspoons of the cooled chocolate sauce on each semifreddo, spreading with a spatula. Using tongs place a little Persian fairy floss on top and sprinkle with edible glitter. Serve immediately.
* NOTE: the paper cups are by Posh Party Ware from Spotlight and the dimensions are 8cm high x 7cm diameter wide top x 5cm diameter bottom. Edible glitter is available from specialist cake supply shops. Persian fairy floss is available from good supermarkets, gourmet food stores and middle eastern grocers.