Haigh's Chocolate Gingerbread
EASY 30-40 BISCUITS 15MIN + CHILLING TIME PREP 8MIN COOKING
Gingerbread makes fabulous edible gifts, decorations to hang on the tree or simply to have on hand during the festive period to enjoy with a cuppa. This is a wonderful recipe to make with children, especially on Christmas Eve so they can leave one out for Santa when he visits.
- 100g Haigh’s Dark Chocolate Pastilles
- 3 cups (450g) plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 125g unsalted butter
- ½ cup (110g) brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly whisked
- ½ cup (125ml) golden syrup
- 1½ cups (240g) pure icing sugar
- 1 egg white, lightly whisked
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- For the gingerbread, pour boiling water into a small saucepan, about a third full and sit a small bowl on top with the chocolate and allow to stand, until chocolate melts, stirring occasionally.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, salt, bicarbonate soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves together.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg, golden syrup and melted chocolate, beating until just combined. Slowly add the flour mixture, beating until mixture forms a smooth dough. Divide dough into two equal disks, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line two baking trays with baking paper.Roll dough to a thickness of 1cm between two sheets of baking paper.
- Using different sized star and snowflake cutters cut out different shapes. Place gingerbread shapes onto prepared baking tray. Bake for 8-10 minutes, allow to cool a little, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat process until all the dough has been used.
- For the royal icing, combine icing sugar, egg white and lemon juice together until mixture is smooth. To decorate, place icing in a piping bag with a small plain nozzle and decorate to your liking. Place gingerbread on a wire rack until icing is set.