Haigh's Chocolate Fruit Mince Pies
MODERATE 12 PIES 30MIN PREP 55MIN COOK/CHILL
- 50g Haigh’s Dark Chocolate Pastilles
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- ⅓ cup (75g) caster sugar
- 130g chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 2 extra-large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Coffee sugar, to sprinkle
- Icing sugar, to dust
Chocolate fruit mince
- ½ cup (85g) coarsely grated apple
- ¾ cup (120g) dried cranberries
- ¾ cup (120g) currants
- ¾ cup (120g) sultanas
- ⅓ cup (55g) citrus peel
- ⅓ cup (75g) dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- zest and juice of an orange
- zest and juice of a lemon
- ⅓ cup (80ml) sweet Sherry (eg. Pedro Ximénez)
- 100g Haigh’s Dark Chocolate Pastilles, roughly
- For the pastry, pour boiling water into a small saucepan, about a third full and sit a small bowl on top. Add chocolate and allow to stand, until chocolate melts, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place cocoa, flour, sugar and butter together in a food processor and pulse until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. In a small bowl combine 1 egg yolk, milk and vanilla, whisking until combined, add to flour mix and pulse until combined. While the food processor is running, slowly add melted chocolate until mixture starts coming together as a ball. Place dough onto a lightly floured surface and bring together. Flatten into a disk, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- For the fruit mince, place all ingredients except chocolate together in a saucepan and stir over a medium heat until sugar dissolves. Cook for 20 minutes or until fruit is plump and liquid has been absorbed. Set aside and cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced), lightly grease a 12-hole shallow tart pan.
- Place pastry on a lightly floured kitchen work surface; roll pastry to a thickness of approximately 3mm. For the bases, cut out 24 x 8cm pastry rounds and for the tops cut out 24 x 7.5cm stars. Line the prepared pan with half the pastry bases and place a tablespoon of cooled fruit mince into the centre of each tart.
- Lightly whisk the remaining egg yolk and brush over one side of the pastry star, to help seal the edges to the pastry base. Brush pie tops with egg glaze and sprinkle with coffee sugar.
- Place baking pan in preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until pastry is cooked. Remove from oven, allow to stand for 5 minutes before carefully removing each pie and cooling on a wire rack. Repeat process making sure the tart pan is clean before starting.
- To serve, dust fruit mince pies with icing sugar.