Whilst our centenary celebrates the opening of the very first Haigh’s store in Adelaide in 1915, 2015 also marks 50 years since we opened in Melbourne and 10 years in Sydney.
These stories are celebrated with the release of the Three Cities range featuring the location of Haigh's flagship stores in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney.
It includes Milk Chocolate Tablets (100g & 440g) featuring the original Adelaide Beehive Corner store; Dark Chocolate Tablets (100g & 440g) featuring Sydney's Queen Victoria Building; Milk Peppermint Tablets (100g & 440g) featuring Melbourne's historic Block Arcade and souvenir mugs, tea towels and magnets. View the range and purchase online here.
100 years of Haigh’s in Adelaide
In 1915 Alfred Haigh opened the doors of the very first Haigh’s Chocolates store in the Beehive Corner Building located at the corner of Rundle and King William streets Adelaide. He quickly began adding his own flavour to the industry, producing chocolate covered fruit centres some of which we still make today. Now there are six stores in Adelaide, including the Visitor Centre, located just outside the city parklands, where you can see the artisan skills that have been creating Haigh’s Chocolate for over 100 years on display.
50 years of Haigh’s in Melbourne
In the 1950’s and 60’s Haigh’s Chocolates were sold at concession stands in cinemas across Adelaide, but with the growing popularity of television John Haigh looked across the state border for an opportunity to expand. In 1965 he opened the first Melbourne store at what is known as the Paris end of Collins Street. As Haigh’s popularity grew so did the number of Haigh’s stores, there are now six in Melbourne including four in the CBD at one at both Hawthorn and Toorak.
10 years of Haigh’s in Sydney
After opening in 2005 Haigh’s first Sydney store in the Strand Arcade on George Street quickly became one of the most popular. The response was so incredibly positive that in 2012 a second store was opened, this time in iconic Queen Victoria Building at the Town Hall end. Both of the shopping arcades were opened in the 1890’s and their historic features complement the Haigh’s story.