Chocolate & Coffee Torte
- 300g Haigh’s Dark Chocolate Couverture
- 100g Haigh’s Coffee Crunch Block
- 5 eggs
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons strong espresso coffee
- 200ml thickened cream
- Haigh’s Drinking Chocolate (for dusting)
- 100g Haigh’s Coffee Crunch
- Block Chocolate, crushed
- Haigh’s Dark Chocolate Dessert Sauce
- 300ml whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 150° C.
- Brush a round 9 inch cake tin, either regular or spring form, with melted butter. Cut a round sheet of baking paper and place on the bottom of the tin.
- Place the eggs, sugar and coffee in heatproof bowl and mix well with a whisk. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture is warm (not hot and do not boil).
- Remove from the heat, pour into a bowl and whisk for at least 5 minutes using an electric mixer. While the egg mix is whisking, melt the Dark Chocolate Couverture and Coffee Crunch Block chocolates together either in a microwave or in a bowl over just simmering water.
- When the chocolate is melted slowly stir into the egg mixture. Whip the thickened cream to soft peaks and gently fold into the chocolate mixture. Pour into the tin and bake for approximately 40-50 minutes until set. Let the cake cool in the tin, then remove and peel off baking paper. Dust the top of the cake with the Drinking Chocolate.
- For the Coffee Crunch Cream: Whip the cream and then fold through the crushed Coffee Crunch Block.
- To serve, cut a slice of cake, place a dollop of the Coffee Crunch Cream on the side and drizzle with Dark Chocolate Dessert sauce over both.
Recipe by: Robert Fowler
Photographer: Randy Larcombe