Chocolate & Hazelnut Custard Slice
- 100g Haigh’s Hazelnut Block chopped finely
- 100g Haigh’s Dark 70% Tablet chopped finely
- Haigh’s Drinking Chocolate (for dusting)
- 2 sheets chilled butter puff pastry 27cm x 27cm
- 4 egg yolks
- 60g caster sugar
- 40g flour
- 20g hazelnut meal
- 350ml milk
- 10g butter
- 100g thickened cream, whipped
- 14g gelatin powder
- 100ml hot water
- Preheat oven to 210° C. Place the pastry on baking trays and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Line a 23cm square deep cake tin with two long lengths of baking paper.
- Using a serrated knife trim the pastry to fit the tin and lower one sheet into the base of the tin. Sprinkle over half of the chopped Hazelnut Block chocolate.
- To make the custard filling, whisk the egg yolks and sugar and then fold in the flour and hazelnut meal. Bring the milk to the boil and carefully pour in half into the egg mixture and whisk. Return the remaining milk to the heat, whisk in the egg mixture and keep mixing until it returns to the boil.
- Transfer the custard mixture to a clean, dry bowl, add the butter and chopped Dark 70% Tablet and whisk to melt and combine.
- Mix the gelatin and hot water and add to the custard with the whipped cream. Pour mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle over the remaining chopped Hazelnut Block chocolate. Top with the other sheet of pastry and allow to cool.
- To finish dust with the Drinking Chocolate.
Recipe by: Ben Kolly
Photographer: Randy Larcombe