May 1, 2013
On May 1st, 2013 we celebrated being in business for 98 years.
Alfred E Haigh opened the very first Haigh’s Chocolates store within the Beehive Building at 34 King William Street Adelaide on May 1st, 1915. The business has since grown to employ over 400 people and now has 14 stores across Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney.
Despite our growth, we remain true to the tradition of fine chocolate making established by Alfred in 1915.
We are one of the oldest family-run chocolate manufacturing retailers in Australia and one of a few in the world that still imports cocoa beans for use as the base ingredient in chocolate making. Our final products are still made in the traditional way with many hand finished and hand foiled.
Our company is fourth generation family owned with brothers Alister and Simon Haigh, joint Managing Directors. Their father John Haigh remains as Chairman of the Board.